grow with it – Outdoor weddings are taking off. The photography is exceptional and the expense is minimal.
Outdoor weddings are extremely popular among couples who want to incorporate nature into their celebrations and share their love of the outdoors with their guests. In addition to encouraging loved ones to give back to the earth, there are many great reasons to give tree seedlings or seed packets as wedding favors.
They are symbolic of the couples growing love, they are versatile and easy to personalize, and they are budget-friendly and simple to make.
Not just for spring or summer weddings, seeds or tree seedlings make thoughtful, green, favors any time of the year. While most are easy to assemble and personalize, it helps to choose a flower or tree that will be easy for your guests to plant and maintain.
The symbolism of planting seedlings is unmistakable. It is a romantic reminder for your guests that your love will grow indefinitely. They can wish you well each year as they witness the growth of the flowers or trees that they planted in your honor.
Your options aren’t limited to seed packets. You can give out bulbs in votive candles, for example, creating an attractive table centerpiece or place setting, as well as a favor. Think beyond traditional plants and consider herbs, or surprise guests by placing seeds in matchbooks instead of matches.
Finally, you will inspire your guests to think “green” and plant for a greener tomorrow. Earth-friendly favors can be accented with containers as simple as a paper packet or as elegant as a small bamboo box or metal tin. The important part is to make them a representation of your love and a remembrance of your special day.
by Katie Testa
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” Did you know that trees are the longest…more
Did you know that trees are the longest living organisms on earth?
One (a single) tree produces up to 260 pounds of oxygen a year. That is more than enough to supply oxygen to a family of four people. Make that a few thousand trees, and you’ve got an oxygen supply for a whole town
· Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.
Going Green with trees is an inspiring way to make your wedding day unforgettable and share with your friends and family just how easy, fun, & beautiful a sustainable lifestyle can be. This article, top 10 ways to include trees in your Wedding presents ideas for brides and grooms for the best fall wedding favors ever!
1 . Give guests the greenest favor of all: live tree saplings!
2. Tree seed in eco-box kits are versatile favors made with recycled card stock with your choice of 6 tree seeds that will grow in at least one US climatic zones.
3. Earth friendly tree seed packets wedding favors in recycled papers with complete growing instructions are amazing in a variety of colors & designs.
4. Tree seed embedded in biodegradable handmade paper tree cards are incredibly unique gifts, 100% plantable these are extremely “green”.
5. Go the natural route with Tree Centerpieces. Grow your own or visit a local nursery for a 3-4 year old mini-evergreen tree, in a decorative pot these are powerful “green” symbols of a sustainable lifestyle.
6. Plant tree Place card favors, combine tree seed favors with place cards, decorate reception tables with tree seed favor ornaments on tree branch centerpieces accompanied by your guest’s names.
7. “Fall in Love” tree seed favors. Personalized with your names and wedding date these eco-friendly seed wedding packet favors are a favourite for earth-conscious couples.
8. Decorate your reception venue with rented live trees from a local nursery or garden center. What a socially conscious way to support local business and bring the outdoors in any time of year.
9. Hanging tree favors/Place card seating with a crafty branch decoration. Outside the reception area hang your place cards/seed favors on a small tree with invisible thread and create an opportunity for fun finding their names on the cards with their table numbers.
10. Place an eco-friendly tree seed favor in a terra cotta pot at each guest’s table setting. Decorate the pot to complement your colors or style. Guests can take the seeds home and plant them in the pots.
Plant a “green” wedding favor and your wedding day memories will last a lifetime!
By Sheila Sheffield, Tree Beggings Inc.
Earth-Friendly tree favors Since 1992
From proposal to the wedding it should be about YOU TWO ! Include your own ideas, style and imagination in your wedding day , this will create a unique celebration of past to the present and hopes for the future in the joining of two lives, hearts and dreams.We would love to hear all about your unique proposal strategies: what worked, what said “I love you” in your own special way.Here is one couple who shared their LOVE with us: love gerber daisy style
wedding centerpieces with gerber daisies
Potted Plants as Wedding Centerpieces – a “Growing” Trend
Bring Mother Nature in and inspire your guests with living potted flowers and herbs. The remarkable thing about using plant centerpieces is that they are a growing symbol of your new life together, inspirational for your guests and project your eco-commitment from this day forward.
Gerber Daisies are our favorite potted plants because their brilliant colors pop on the reception tables. Forget-me-not’s, roses and lavender are attractive centerpieces. These flowers work well because they are a popular nursery plant which makes them easy to find. Rosemary and basil are wonderful plotted herbs and are guest favorites, with an abundance of “green” points due to their culinary popularity and familiar scents.
Advantages of potted plant centerpieces in your wedding:
- They are surprisingly affordable from your local florist / nursery or can be planted far in advance
- Potted flower or herbs as centerpieces are unique table name/number holders
- There is no risk of the flower getting fatigued with weather and sitting for long periods of time. They can be arranged days in advance, avoiding the last minute rush.
- Plants can be placed in decorative containers and finished with complementary ribbon to complement your colors or theme.
- They are available in a massive selection of colors, sizes, shapes that can tie in with the overall style or theme.
Flowers and herbs embrace the something “green” trend in 2009 as we become more aware of the natural world around us. Complement with eco-friendly seed favor guest gifts for a wedding they will remember forever.
Plant a Memory for a greener tomorrow.
give back to earth with green wedding favors
sign of spring In the past 12 years since we have been offering tulip bulb wedding favors they have been the most popular flower bulb…more
In the past 12 years since we have been offering tulip bulb wedding favors they have been the most popular flower bulb we carry.
Tips for seasonal outdoor weddings
TIPS FOR SEASONAL WEDDINGS
Wedding Planner’s Advice
by Shelley Waugh
The outdoor wedding is more popular than ever, they’re very different from the traditional indoor affair and offer more options, with only the weather as a variable.
Ten tips for an outdoor wedding either at a venue or in your back yard.
1. BUDGET: Have an exact budget or specific dollar amount when you meet with your wedding planner. Make a prioritized list of what is necessary to create your wedding the way you envision it. This will help in deciding between calligraphy invitations and live music. It can be disappointing to make big plans and then have to cancel them because they’re not affordable.
2. DATE: Planning the date is extremely important. Have several in mind, since popular wedding months such as May, June, September and October may limit the choice of dates. Depending on where you live, winter weddings for better value. They can be spectacular at this time of year.
3. COMFORT: Remember to ensure your guests’ comfort by considering weather conditions on the big day. If hot, have ushers offer ice-cold water bottles as guests are seated, or print your wedding program on a hand-held fan to keep your guests cool. Colorful paper umbrellas shade the sun and add beautiful color as well.
4. BACKUP PLAN: What if it rains? The ideal outdoor wedding location should have an indoor plan just in case. However, an outdoor tent is another option, but only for light to moderate rainstorms. Or, the couple might have the ceremony outside and reception inside as a way to minimize the risk of bad weather.
5. PLAN FOR WIND: Windy conditions can wreak havoc on attire, hair, and décor. If the location is typically windy, avoid fabrics such as chiffons or silks. Also, advise your hairstylist that your wedding is outdoors so she/he can design an appropriate style for you and the bridal party. While unity ceremonies are important, wind can have an ill effect on the traditional unity candle. More recent ideas include the sand ceremony and water ceremony.
6. DECOR: With natural beauty all around, outdoor weddings often use fewer decorations. Some to be considered, however, include an arch or trellis, strings of lights or lanterns in the trees, torches, and luminarias or farolitas. A flower petal walkway dense with deep colored rose petals creates a dramatic contrast to green grass. Note: for weddings on grassy areas, ensure the sprinkler system is disabled so guests don’t receive an unwanted shower!
7. FOOD: A reception with food stations with delicious and beautiful options that are prepared and refreshed on a continual basis. Guests can enjoy the reception without worrying if the food is getting cold or that they’ll miss a served food course.
8. BUGS: One way to limit bug disturbances is to use citronella candles placed around the border of the event disguised with red rocks or other natural elements just in case.
9. SUNLIGHT: Couples who consider timing their outdoor wedding to a beautiful sunset should ensure that chairs are oriented away from the sun so it won’t shine directly in the eyes of their guests during the ceremony.
10. ATTIRE: If hot weather is in the forecast, wear light fabrics to avoid unnecessary overheating or perspiration. Brides wearing trains should consider the ground they will be walking on to avoid grass and dirt. An aisle runner can be helpful in avoiding stains. Consult a makeup professional for makeup that won’t cake, streak, or shine and will hold up well for photographs and throughout the event.
Tips and photos courtesy: Wedding Planner at the L’Auberge de Sedona in Sedona, Arizona, that offers luxury accommodations, fine dining, wedding facilities and spa treatments. Visit www.lauberge.com.
We loved this article because it discusses REAL issues. Don’t forget to thank you guests with a touch of nature , eco favors.
Plant a Memory for a Greener Tomorrow!
outdoor weddings are taking off In 2011 outdoor weddings are extremely popular. Let nature be your decorator at a venue where you can enjoy the…more
In 2011 outdoor weddings are extremely popular. Let nature be your decorator at a venue where you can enjoy the great outdoors.
“The earth is a garden and each of us only need care for our own part for life to be breathed back into the planet, into the soil, into ourselves.”
Colorado wedding bridal show. April 17, 2011.
Visit us at the Rocky Mountain Bridal Show and experience our unqiue “green” favors up close and personal.
Colorado Blue Spruce would be the perfect wedding favor or the area and we have plenty of choices if you want to grow your own. Inspire you wedding guests , choose a favor with lasting memories of your weddings day and help the planet. It is a win, win, win situation. Hope to see you there, we can hardly wait.
Rocky Mountain Bridal Show
Sunday, April 17, 2011, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
real wedding are going green, give tree seedling wedding favors for lasting memories.
I was able to order one seedling as a sample just to make sure we liked them before ordering all 50 that we will need. I think this is a good idea for anyone who has to purchase mass quantities of something and isn’t able to look at it first.
We realize that not everyone is able or will want to plant a tree after going home from our wedding, and we have a plan for that. We are going to put a little sign (in one of the picture frames we bought from Rustic Blend - see blog post here) on the table with the seedlings letting our guests know that if they do not want to take a tree and will not plant it, that it’s ok to leave it on the table. We are also going to encourage any of our guests with larger property or a greater desire to take care of a tree to take more than one if there are some left over. Then, if all else fails, we will take the rest of the seedlings home and plant them ourselves in our own yard.
We are also going to use one of these seedlings during our vow renewal ceremony in which we have incorporated a tree planting ritual. I think this will be a really nice way to tie it all together and promote the idea that we are all on the same planet and our love is universal.
Read Kristen’s Blog: It is a wonderful story.